AB3, Host of The Bryant Land Show, interviews Lafayette Trowell, 2X Turkey Hunter Grand Slammer. The discussion with Lafayette Trowell goes down several interesting roads, from traveling to go on hunts to how using a turkey wing bone call has upgraded his success level as a turkey hunter.
- AB3 explains what a turkey hunting Grand Slam is.
- Lafayette Trowell discusses what is involved in accomplishing a grand slam and how he did it twice.
- How did AB3 blow up the barrel of his shotgun?
- How does Lafayette Trowell’s scope work with his shotgun?
- Is he a box call or a slate call on the hunts that he has done by himself?
- How did he start using a wing bone call?
- AB3 shares what he has read about wing bone calls.
- Lafayette Trowell shares a turkey hunting story.
- His father, who struggled with cancer, told him to try new things while he is still young.
- How does he pick his outfitter and book his hunts?
- Does he handle his own sleeping arrangements during hunts?
- Every guided trip he has gone on he has killed what he came to kill?
- AB3 discusses having a great experience duck hunting in Oklahoma.
- Killing a mallard and a peasant is on Lafayette Trowell’s bucket list.
- Duck hunting tends to be more fun in groups.
- Many of the birds that Lafayette Trowell has called in have been late in the season.
- Look for the Bass Pro Shop links on BryantLandCountry.com.
3 Key Points:
- It took Lafayette Trowell three years to get two Grand Slams in turkey hunting, which is when you kill one of all the subspecies of turkeys.
- Lafayette Trowell uses a wing bone call and a little box call in case turkeys are close by.
- Research the outfitters that you like, look them up, find someone who has used them before, and read the reviews first before approaching them.