AB3, Host of The Bryant Land Country Podcast, talks to Chef Aaron Johnson, Sous-Chefat the Summit Hotel in Cincinnati, Ohio. Chef Johnson discusses his career experiences that include playing football, being a sous-chef, making his own apple smoked turkey sausage, making seasonings, the differences between dry aging and wet aging, and what to look out for when buying meat in the store.
- AB3 talks about college football.
- AB3 introduces Chef Aaron Johnson.
- What is Chef Johnson’s best dish?
- Where is Chef Johnson from and where has he studied?
- Where does his cooking influence come from?
- What was Chef Johnson’s experience like playing football?
- He talks about being a father and playing college football.
- Where is he now as far as cooking?
- What is Chef Johnson’s turkey sausage-making process?
- What types of seasoning does he put on his sausage?
- How does he prepare a turkey?
- What is the biggest difference between wild game versus grocery-store-related?
- What does grain finished mean?
- How does Chef Johnson handle the wild game?
- How did he grow up hunting?
- What is his favorite type of hunting?
- Where does he travel for hunting and fishing?
- What is his weapon of choice?
- What is the next big thing he has going on?
3 Key Points:
- Chef Johnson hunts for turkey and makes apple smoked turkey sausage and does everything himself.
- For seasoning, grow your fresh herbs or buy them from a farmer’s market, dehydrate them, then grind them up yourself.
- Dry aging is done in your freezer or a cooler.